You’ve probably heard that the oil extracted from coconuts is very beneficial to our health and is widely used in natural medicine and home remedies…
But have you heard about the incredible benefits coconut oil can have on our beloved Bulldogs? (for other bulldog vitamins and fish oil benefits click here.)
Study after study shows that this oil has multiple holistic beneficial effects in fighting infections when compared to other supplements.
Why give coconut oil to your bulldog?
Coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides, these are not found in the natural diet of puppies, but can actually be beneficial to them.
Its benefits are many and varied, coconut oil is beneficial for your dog’s digestion, as well as for the health of its coat and skin. Bulldog enthusiasts all over the world talk about the various therapeutic and skin soothing properties of coconut oil.
First of all you have to know which one to use. The best coconut oil is the pure, actually, any unrefined version of the oil is the best, coconut oil, which is naturally non-toxic.
Lauric acid, the main component of coconut oil, is a fatty acid that transforms into monolaurin which has potent antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal characteristics. Coconut oil has the ability to seek out and kill viruses, germs and fungi.
The enormous advantages of coconut oil for dogs are due to the type of lipids it contains. Coconut, specifically coconut oil, is one of the few foods that has been designated as a “superfood”.
These are foods with nutritional advantages that are thousands of years old compared to other foods. As a result, saturated fats account for more than 90% of the fats in coconut oil.
Properties of coconut oil for dogs
Coconut oil, in addition to its many properties, contains valuable nutrients such as:
- Vitamin E, of great antioxidant power.
- Vitamin K, vital for blood coagulation processes.
- Minerals, such as iron.
What can coconut oil do for your bulldog?
- Coconut oil is excellent for the care of the dog’s skin and coat. It can help treat cases of eczema, flea allergies, dermatitis, irritated skin, and even serves as an anti-flea treatment.
- It also helps heal cuts, itchiness, or wounds as it is a natural antibacterial, antimicrobial and antifungal agent and moisturizes dry paw pads when applied directly.
- In addition, this oil makes it easier for bulldogs to lose weight because it is an easily absorbed medium chain fatty acid, as it does not require specific enzymes to be broken down.
- It also helps to tone and stimulate the dogs’ metabolism, improve their energy levels, and promote weight loss.
- With a diluted solution of coconut oil and water you can sanitize your bulldog’s genitals, anus, paws or ears, as it helps to deeply cleanse.
- It can reduce bacterial build-up, gum disease, bad breath, tooth decay or tooth loss.
- And, if your dog has bad breath, this remedy can come in handy. In fact, some people recommend brushing their teeth with coconut oil.
How to give coconut oil to your bulldog?
Be sure to get virgin coconut oil, extra virgin, or unrefined coconut oil. 1 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of your Bulldog’s weight, or 1 tablespoon for every 30 pounds.
That is, if your dog weighs 100 pounds, you can give him up to two tablespoons a day, either in his food or in a teaspoon for him to lick.
If you are going to start giving it to your bulldog, don’t start with the full dose, start slowly with 1/4 of the recommended dose and add 1/4 per week until he reaches his recommended dose.
To use coconut oil for dogs externally, always heat it for a few seconds so that it is in a liquid state and easy to spread on the skin and coat of the dog, once it is lukewarm.